Feng Shui for 2020
Feng shui is based on the flow of energy, called chi, throughout a space or home. Feng shui energies can shift from year to year, often tied to the Chinese zodiac. January 25, 2020 begins the year of the Metal Rat. The Rat is the first sign in the Chinese zodiac and represents new beginnings. Updating the feng shui in your home adds additional layers of energy to your existing feng shui and acts as a way to strengthen it. Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can update your feng shui to harness the positive aspects of the year of the Metal Rat.
1. Be aware of the East – The East is the biggest direction for troublesome energy in 2020. The East is generally governed by the element Wood. Especially in 2020, you’ll want to avoid any Fire or Earth decor in the East portion of your home. Avoid Fire colors of red, orange, bright yellow and purple and avoid Earth colors of light brown, terracotta and beige. Avoid any decor that represents or gives the feeling of Fire or Earth to keep the troublesome East energy of this year at bay.
2. Free up space in the bedroom – Declutter, downsize and eliminate unnecessary stuff in the bedroom to keep relationships clear of conflict. If you’re unattached, this will pave the way to inviting new love into your life.
3. Chinese Bamboo attracts luck – Place 4 Chinese Bamboo stalks in a vase of water in the center of your home. If you have pets or children for which Bamboo might not be safe, you can substitute another natural plant. Symbolizing life and growth in the center of your household, this feng shui update is meant to increase your luck in career, studies and love.
4. Lucky directions – Pay particular attention to the lucky directions for 2020 in your home, which include the southeast, northeast and west. Keep these areas clear of clutter, with plenty of open space for chi to flow.
5. Use lucky numbers – Use the lucky numbers when decorating or incorporating feng shui principles throughout 2020. The lucky numbers for this year are five, seven and nine.
6. Incorporate Metal – The element of the year is Metal. Incorporate accents and decor that are metallic or made of metal to attract good luck–just be careful not to accumulate clutter. Pack away decor relating to other elements and focus on the Metal element for the year.
7. Get rid of the past – Get rid of objects or mementos from past failed relationships and friendships. Pictures, letters and physical objects from past failed relationships should be discarded. This makes way for harmony in your current relationships and friendships.
8. Use color wisely – The lucky colors of the year can increase positive chi. Decorating with these colors or even repainting with them can bring greater flow of positive chi. The lucky colors of the year are white, gray, black, blue, green and yellow (except no yellow in the East).
While there are basic principles of feng shui that help the flow of positive chi at all times in the home, there are also shifting energies that change with the Chinese New Year that can bring additional positive chi into your home. Following these tips can help you encourage luck and success in many areas of your life such as love, relationships, career and studies simply by increasing the positive chi flowing through your home.