It’s Pumpkin Season! 6 Ways to Make Your Home Smell and Feel Like Autumn… Naturally!
Ditch the artificial fragrances and chemicals–you don’t need them to make your home smell and feel like fall. You can get that autumnal ambiance naturally with only a few ingredients in most cases. Here are some of our favorite natural ways to make your home smell and feel like fall.
1. Fall Bouquets – Create fall bouquets with yellow and orange dried flowers, sprigs of rosemary, dried star anise, chamomile and even a touch of eucalyptus for a fresh and invigorating fall scent.
2. Scented Candles – Stick to soy candles that are fragranced with only pure essential oils to avoid artificial scents and chemicals.
3. Essential Oil Diffuser – If you have an essential oil diffuser, choose essential oils that are warm and woodsy. For example, try a few drops of clove oil with a few drops of cedar oil in your diffuser to recreate the scent of walking through the autumn woods. Use apple, orange, cinnamon and clove for a more traditional autumn fragrance.
4. Autumn-Inspired Simmer Pot – Simmer up a pot of spiced cider to fill your house with fragrance and have a delicious warm drink for guests. Simmer together fresh apple cider, star anise, cinnamon sticks, orange peels and slices of apple.
5. Autumn Scent Sachets – Sew together five inch linen and wool squares in fall-like colors, leaving one side open. Fill the pouch with cedar shavings, clove and chamomile or whatever scents you prefer. You can even add a few drops of essential oil to enhance the fragrance. Sew the remaining side shut. Stack sachets together and tie with ribbon for a scented fall accent that looks great in any room.
6. Herb and Spice Fire Starters – If you have a fireplace, you can use these scented fire starters to fragrance your home. Start with an all-natural coffee filter, flatten in half and then fold in half again to create a pizza-slice shaped pouch. Fill with herbs and spices of your choice and even dried apple slices and dried orange peels. You can include thyme, rosemary, star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves or whichever scents you enjoy. Fold over the top edges of the pouch and crease firmly. Use them in the fireplace as a fire starter.
These 6 natural ways to make your home smell and feel like autumn will have you sipping homemade pumpkin spice lattes and enjoying the crisp feel of a fall day in no time. And all without harsh chemicals or fake fragrances.